2013/11/06

My Failure To Get Them Close To Their Natural Habitat

Supposed they would like the sand I prepared for their coming hibernation period, I filled the container with clean wet sand just as the same as what is recommended online. But, my Timon and Pumbaa don't like it!!! 

I dragged them out of their niche and let them enjoy the last warm water and sunshine. Then, I put them on the sand I prepared for them. It's not strange to me that they felt little strange to this (maybe they have ever seen sand since their birth, let alone set their paws on it!!!) 
So, I put some sand on their shells, thus making them get familiar to it. But they still wanted to get rid of it and crawl out!!! 
My next step was closet them in the sand container to see if them could get used to it. Well, they got quiet with their eyes open wild discerning the world outside the box.
Till down, I didn't bother them a little. When I got to them to see if they were used to sand, I decided I should let them out and set them where they favour the most. Standing on her two back limbs, Timon tilted her head against the little bars on the lid of the container as if complaining:"I don't like sand!!! It gets me dirty!!! I can't sleep in it!!!"
And Pumbaa, the one that spends the most of time sleeping, also had no sign of sleepy eyes!!!
Ok. I have to say: my turtles are much more used to human environment now!!!

This is when they were just put on sand

 This is Timon who was trying her utmost to get out of it!!!


2 comments:

  1. I'm not even sure how sliders hibernate? Hmm now I am curious! I used to work with a reptile expert. Some of our patients would hibernate, but she always told people she didn't recommend captive turtles to hibernate for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't eat, drink, and move at that period. But my neighbour who have raised two sliders for over ten years suggest to put them in shallow water for they may need water during that period. Information online suggest to put them in wet sands. Some also say that it's not good to let baby turtles hibernate. Different turtles have different ways to pass the winter time, I guess. They can adopt themselves to the environment they are kept with, maybe!!!
      Why don't let them hibernate??? I prefer let them lead a nature-close life!!! My two sliders survived last year's winter (they were only 5-6 centimeter in diameter)

      Delete